Southwest Chicken Chili
Now you can make Chili's Southwest Chicken Chili at home! This recipe from the vice president of culinary operations at Chili's is a winner at the restaurant and it's sure to be a winner at home.
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup diced onion
* 1 1/3 cups diced green bell pepper
* 2 tablespoons diced seeded jalapeno peppers
* 3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
* 4 1/2 cups water
* 8 teaspoons chicken base
* 2 teaspoons lime juice
* 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 3 tablespoons cornstarch
* 3 tablespoons ground cumin
* 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
* 4 teaspoons ground paprika
* 4 teaspoons dried basil
* 2 teaspoons fresh minced cilantro
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
* 1/2 cup crushed canned tomatillos
* 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
* 2 (15 ounce) cans navy beans or small white beans, drained
* 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained
* 3 pounds diced cooked chicken breast
* Shredded cheese and sour cream for garnish (optional)
* Tortilla chips
1. In 5-quart or larger pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute along with bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic. Cook until vegetables are tender.
2. In another container, combine water, chicken base, lime juice, sugar, cornstarch and seasonings. Add to vegetable mixture.
3. Add tomatillos and diced green chiles to pot; bring to boil. Add beans and chicken; simmer 10 minutes. Serve topped with cheese and sour cream if desired, with tortilla chips on the side.
Yields about 4 quarts